Desktop virtualization has taken different business industries by storm. It is one of the biggest and happening trends in today’s world.
Depending on their requirements, many people choose between VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) and DaaS (Desktop as a Service) – the two major desktop virtualization solutions.
VDI is a solution that offers virtualization of desktops on high-performance servers. VDI is an on-premises solution maintained by local IT executives that handle data servers, hardware, software, and other deployment units.
On the other hand, DaaS is a fully-managed VDI solution that is maintained and hosted by third-party providers. You can opt for their services at the pay-as-you-go pricing model.
The advancement in technology has led to an increase in the trend of professionals adopting DaaS and VDI.
Here are some important stats about DaaS and VDI that you should know:
Desktop Virtualization Market Trends
Today, organizations are making a shift towards virtualization. Therefore, the market of VDI and DaaS solutions is only growing with the changes.
- According to the survey report by MarketsandMarkets, the desktop virtualization market is expected to reach up to $13.45 Billion by 2022 from $7.08 Billion in 2017, with a Compound Annual Growth Rate of 11.4%.
- The key findings by Spiceworks predict that within the next two years, the desktop virtualization trend will see double-digit growth.
- As per the Future Market Insights, the DaaS market is projected at an 18% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2019-2029 from its worth $3 Billion in the year 2018.
There are many benefits of VDI and DaaS solutions, including simplified IT management, more flexibility, low costs, and more. This has led to its adoption by diverse industries and businesses.
Here are some stats that illustrate the scenario:
- According to the survey conducted by Spiceworks, around 32% of the organizations have adopted VDI in their practices, and an additional 12% of them have planned to adopt it by 2021. As per the report, efficient use of computing resources is one of the most significant motivators for 58% of the respondents adopting desktop virtualization. Centralized management and support for client workspace (57%) follow it up closely. Desktop Virtualization is utilized by 50% of enterprises and 24% of small businesses, i.e., the enterprise adoption rate is double that of SMBs. This trend is expected to grow, wherein 69% of enterprises will be using VDI by 2021.
- The survey by The Year of VDI demonstrates that the highest number of VDI adoption is in the financial industry, i.e., 48%, followed by healthcare at 47%. Among all of the driving factors, simplified management topped the list with an 85% rate for which most of the users switched to VDI. It was further followed by mobility (81%) and security (66%).
Cloud-Based Desktop Virtualization
Cloud-hosted VDI solutions provide more mobility and flexibility to its users. There are many benefits to using cloud-based desktop virtualization. It provides anytime, anywhere access for remote working with an enhanced level of security.
Moreover, competent service providers offer fully-managed services and handle all the IT requirements. Below are some of the stats on cloud-based desktop virtualization:
- According to the Allied Market Research forecasts, the cloud-based VDI market, which was valued at $3,654 million in 2016, is expected to reach $10,154 million in 2023 with a CAGR of 16.5%.
- North-America generated the highest revenue that accounted for 1,501 million (41.1% of the share) in 2016. – Allied Market Research
- Increased demand in the usage of unlimited storage, advanced security measures, and reduced capital cost is expected to drive SMEs (small and medium enterprises) to dominate the market. Allied Market Research
- According to the Gartner forecasts, 20% of the VDI users are predicted to adopt DaaS by 2023.
- As per the reports by Citrix, 49% of the VDI providers are planning to add DaaS (Desktop as a Service) in their services, and 22% of them are adding cloud-based VDI solutions.
- 31% of the DaaS service providers anticipate a 15%-50% growth in the future. 29% of the providers expect their growth between 5% and 15%. -Citrix
- According to Future Market Insights, the DaaS market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 18% from 2019 to 2029, while it had a market share of $3 Billion in the year 2018.
The outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has forced the majority of organizations to adopt remote working. DaaS and VDI solutions have made it possible by virtualizing the workstations, providing them the required mobility and flexibility with cost-effective solutions.
Check out the following stats for VDI adoption and the impact of COVID-19 on the trend:
- According to a survey in a recent press release, 36% of the respondents have deployed VDI or DaaS solutions for their work-from-home scenario.
- VMWare, Citrix Systems, Microsoft, Cisco, and IBM are some of the leading players in the VDI market during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. (Source)
It is crucial to stay up-to-date with the latest technology. VDI and DaaS are here to stay and emerge as a game-changer for many industries. The stats mentioned above will help get better insights into technology and make effective decisions.
Want to know more about VDI and DaaS services? Chat with our Solutions Consultant today.
Chat With A Solutions Consultant