QuickBooks Desktop is a well-known accounting software that assists accountants in managing their financial operations with ease. Nevertheless, businesses nowadays are demanding remote access, cost-effectiveness, smooth user collaboration, and improved control over their financial processes. The cloud-based version of QuickBooks fulfills all these requirements efficiently.
Cloud-based QuickBooks refers to the deployment of the QuickBooks Desktop software on cloud servers instead of being installed and run on individual local computers.
Given that 94% of accountants already use cloud accounting in their operations, it is essential to understand what a cloud-based QuickBooks desktop is and how it works on the cloud.
Table of Contents
What Does Hosting QuickBooks in the Cloud Mean?
QuickBooks in the cloud implies hosting the application on the servers of a cloud hosting provider to allow authorized users to access it from their preferred devices with an internet connection. Accessing QuickBooks in the cloud requires using a web browser or remote access software on users’ local devices.
Simply, QuickBooks in the cloud or QuickBooks Hosting is the installation of QuickBooks Desktop on a cloud provider’s server that provides a user the access to application using their preferred devices from anywhere, anytime.
QuickBooks hosting is like having your QuickBooks software stored on a secure server remotely, while you can access and use it from your own computer over the internet. It’s like having a trustworthy assistant who holds your accounting information safe and is always ready for you, no matter where you are.
Further, QuickBooks cloud accounting enables users to get the same desktop feel and features of the QB Desktop version. It allows multiple users to access the hosted accounting software with added compatibility, scalability, flexibility, and enterprise-grade security advantages. QuickBooks cloud hosting has evolved as an innovative process to overcome the challenges of traditional desktop-based accounting practices.
How Does Cloud-based QuickBooks Work?
For a seamless and effective experience of transitioning to cloud-hosted QuickBooks, it is important to understand its prerequisites. Let’s explore the fundamental elements to address before starting your cloud-based QuickBooks journey.
- Choose QuickBooks Hosting Provider: Select a reliable hosting provider specializing in hosting QuickBooks software based on offerings, security, reputation, and customer reviews.
- QuickBooks Version: Determine which version of QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Enterprise, or POS) you want to host on the cloud.
- Licensing: Ensure you have valid licenses for the QuickBooks software you plan to host. Or you can get genuine QuickBooks Licenses at the best prices from Ace Cloud.
- Cost Evaluation: Understand the pricing structure of the QuickBooks hosting plans. You need to pay a nominal QuickBooks hosting fee based on the number of users, server resources, and additional services.
- Data Preparation: Keep user login credentials handy to help you log into your hosted QuickBooks account and access the application.
- Migrating and Configuring Data: Get your existing QuickBooks data migrated to cloud-based software with seamless reflection of your local setup by the hosting providers.
Internet Connection: Ensure that you have stable and reliable internet connectivity.
Steps to Work on QuickBooks Hosted on Cloud
After a hosting provider dedicates a server with QuickBooks installed, you can access the hosted application by opening Remote Desktop Connection on your system.
Here’s how you can access QuickBooks hosted on the cloud:
Your cloud hosting provider will provide you with the Remote Desktop connection application (also known as RDP) to access QuickBooks cloud environment. RDP application is commonly used to access applications and resources on a remote server, including QuickBooks hosted on the cloud.
Once installed, open ‘Remote Desktop Connection’ Application on your computer
A dialog box opens with your username pre-filled; add your credentials and click “OK” to get directed to the cloud server.
Now, as the cloud workspace opens, double-click on the “QuickBooks” icon on the desktop screen.
Click on ‘Open or restore an existing company file’.
This is how you can work on the accounting files available for your business with cloud-hosted QuickBooks.
Benefits of Working on QuickBooks in the Cloud
Cloud-based QuickBooks hosting providers maintain specialized data centers with powerful servers optimized for high-end user experience. These servers are equipped with high-performance hardware, redundancy, and backup systems to ensure data integrity and availability.
QuickBooks hosting in the cloud offers accountants a variety of benefits for their work operations:
- Accessibility: QuickBooks cloud hosting allows users to access QuickBooks from anywhere, anytime, making it preferable for today’s work environment with remote teams or who need to access QuickBooks while on the go.
- Scalability: Businesses can scale their usage up or down as needed without worrying about investing in new hardware or software.
- Security: Cloud-based QuickBooks Hosting providers actively update security measures to defend against emerging threats. Also, they adhere to industry standards to ensure compliance, providing peace of mind for accountants and their clients.
- Automatic Backups: With the cloud version of QuickBooks, data is automatically backed up regularly, ensuring that critical financial data is safe and quickly restored during a disaster.
- Cost savings: QuickBooks hosting is more cost-effective than maintaining an in-house server since businesses don’t need to invest in expensive hardware or pay for ongoing maintenance and upgrades.
- Collaboration: Hosting QuickBooks on the cloud allows multiple users to access the application simultaneously, making it easier for teams to collaborate on financial tasks and work together in real-time.
Is QuickBooks on Cloud the same as QuickBooks Online?
No, QuickBooks Hosted on Cloud refers to the practice of hosting the QuickBooks Desktop software on remote servers provided by a third-party cloud hosting service. QuickBooks hosted on cloud retains all the features and functionality of the desktop software, providing advanced accounting capabilities, industry-specific tools, and robust reporting options. Just like the local version of QuickBooks, the hosted version can seamlessly integrate with other business software, add-ons, and third-party applications.
Here, users can access and use QuickBooks Desktop from anywhere with an internet connection. It’s essentially the desktop version of QuickBooks hosted in the cloud, providing remote access and added cloud capabilities while retaining the features of the desktop software.
On the other hand, QuickBooks Online is a cloud-native accounting software solution developed by Intuit. It’s designed from the ground up as a web-based application, with no installation required. However, it lacks in the list of features as provided by the QuickBooks Desktop and hence, users have to compromise on the feature list when switching from QuickBooks Desktop to QBO making the former an making it an ideal choice for businesses with complex accounting needs.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a QuickBooks Hosting Provider
Here are the key factors to consider for a seamless cloud accounting experience:
- Intuit Authorized: Businesses looking to host QuickBooks in the cloud and searching for a reliable hosting provider must ensure they are Intuit authorized.
- Reliability and Uptime: Your QuickBooks data is critical for your business operations, so choosing a hosting provider with reliable uptime and minimal downtime is essential.
- Security: Look for a hosting provider that uses industry-standard encryption to protect your data, has physical security measures to safeguard their servers, and regularly performs data backups.
- Technical Support: Choose a provider that offers responsive and knowledgeable technical support. They should have a team of experts to help you resolve any technical issues that arise quickly.
- Compatibility: Choose a hosting provider that can accommodate multiple QuickBooks versions, so you won’t be locked into a single version, making it easier to adapt to changes in software requirements. Also, ensure that the hosting provider supports the specific version of QuickBooks you use, whether it’s QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, or another edition. Compatibility extends to both the year and the edition (e.g., QuickBooks Pro Plus 2023).
- Integration: Consider whether the hosting provider can integrate QuickBooks software with other business applications that you’re using, such as Microsoft Office, Salesforce, or other accounting software.
- Scalability: As your business grows, you may need to scale up your QuickBooks hosting solution. Look for a provider that can accommodate your future needs, whether more server resources or additional user licenses.
- Cost: Pricing is always a significant factor to consider. Look for a hosting provider offering a competitive pricing model and transparent information about any additional fees or charges that may apply.
Don’t limit yourself. Get access to QuickBooks Anywhere, Anytime with Hosted QuickBooks.
Ace Cloud as your Trusted QuickBooks Hosting Provider
Now that you know how QuickBooks on cloud works, and how to choose a cloud hosting provider, it’s time to migrate your QuickBooks Desktop to the cloud with Ace Cloud.
Ace Cloud is a trusted brand with 14+ years of expertise, offering a suite of cloud-based solutions designed to reshape how businesses function and prosper. Their track record speaks for itself as an Award-Winning Application Hosting Provider. Trusted by accountants, CPAs, and businesses worldwide, the brand has earned prestigious awards, such as the “Best Outsourced Technology Provider” award from CPA Practice Advisors Readers’ Choice Awards for two consecutive years.
Ace Cloud’s customized pricing plans are meticulously crafted to align with your strategic goals. They have partnered with state-of-the-art data centers, backed by SSAE-16 Type-II (SOC-2) certification, and PCI DSS compliance, deliver an astonishing 99.99% uptime.
You can try hosting QuickBooks on Cloud with Ace Cloud for FREE for 7 days and see how it can help you flourish your business.
QuickBooks on Cloud – FAQs
What is QuickBooks on Cloud?
QuickBooks on the cloud, also known as QuickBooks Hosting, is a service that allows you to access and use the QuickBooks accounting software from any internet-enabled device. It combines the power of QuickBooks with the flexibility and accessibility of cloud technology.
How does QuickBooks on Cloud work?
QuickBooks on Cloud works by hosting the QuickBooks software on remote servers provided by a hosting provider. Users can access the software via a secure internet connection, making it easy to manage finances and collaborate with team members, even if they are in different locations.
What are the advantages of using QuickBooks hosting for my business?
QuickBooks hosting offers several benefits, including enhanced accessibility, automatic backups, multi-user collaboration, and scalability. It allows you to work from anywhere, ensures data security, and eliminates the need for on-premises server maintenance.
Is my data safe on the cloud?
Yes, when you choose a reputable QuickBooks hosting provider, your data is secure. They employ robust security measures such as encryption, firewall protection, and regular data backups to keep your financial information safe from unauthorized access and data loss.
Can I use QuickBooks hosting with my existing QuickBooks Desktop license?
Yes, in most cases, you can use your existing QuickBooks Desktop license with QuickBooks on Cloud. Hosting providers typically offer options to host your licensed version, allowing you to retain your familiar software while gaining the advantages of cloud access.
How does multi-user collaboration work with cloud hosted QuickBooks?
QuickBooks on Cloud enables seamless multi-user collaboration. Team members can access the same QuickBooks file simultaneously, making it easy to work together in real time. Changes made by one user are instantly reflected for others, fostering efficient teamwork.
Is hosted QuickBooks Cloud suitable for small businesses?
Yes, QuickBooks on Cloud is suitable for businesses of all sizes. Small businesses, in particular, can benefit from its cost-effective scalability, remote access, and data security features. It’s an excellent solution for streamlining financial management processes.