Your backup file contains your company data up to the date the backup was made. Make sure you restore the most recent file.
Follow these steps to restore a local backup from a CD, USB flash drive, local hard drive, network folder, or other media. If you backed up your company file using the service provided by QuickBooks Online Backup, you must restore it through that same service.
Restrictions: Because your backup copy is in a compressed file format, you must use the restore wizard to bring the data back into QuickBooks. Do not use the Copy command from Windows.
Please perform the below mentioned steps to restore the backup files:
- If your backup file is not on your hard disk or in a network folder, insert the CD, USB flash drive, or other storage device in the appropriate drive.
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and click Open or Restore Company to open the restore wizard.
- Click Restore a backup copy (.qbb) and then click Next.
- Click Local backup and then click Next. The Open Backup Copy window opens.
- If needed, click the Look in drop-down arrow and navigate to the location where you saved the backup file, which has a .qbb file extension (for example, mycompanyname.qbb).
- Select the backup file and click Open.
- Click Next.
- If needed, click the Save in drop-down arrow and navigate to the location where you want to restore the backup file.
- Select the backup file, click Save, and respond to any messages QuickBooks may display.
If QuickBooks finds a company file with the same name in the folder you specified, QuickBooks asks whether want to replace the existing file. If you click Replace, QuickBooks erases the existing file and replaces it with the file you’re restoring. If you’re not certain you want the existing file erased, click Cancel and give the file you’re restoring a different name.
The company file is converted to a regular company file, with a .qbw extension (or a .qba extension if the backup was made from an Accountant’s Copy). The company file and all of its related files are stored in this location.