DNS is a part of the security stack that is usually overlooked. But the DNS layer plays a significant role in 70% of the attacks.
Domain Name System (DNS) enables users to type easy-to-remember domain names instead of difficult IP addresses when accessing websites or other Internet resources. Therefore, businesses can assign shorter domain names to their servers instead of IPv4 addresses.
Nowadays, almost every company needs a DNS filtering solution for their business or organization. You might wonder why you need a DNS filtering solution. After all, aren’t there plenty of excellent content-filtering solutions out there? Why add another layer of protection? What are the benefits of adding DNS filtering to your network?
There are many reasons why businesses would want to implement DNS filtering services in their organization. Everyone knows that DNS filtering is one of the most effective ways to protect your business and its network from cyber threats. It’s also one of the easiest to deploy, but finding the right solution for your company can be challenging. There are many options available on the market, so you need to carefully consider which one will work best for your particular needs. Read on and learn more about the six most popular DNS filtering solutions and what factors you should consider before deciding.
6 DNS Filtering Solutions for Businesses:
1. Ace Cloud Hosting – DNS Filtering Solution
Ace Cloud Hosting is a managed DNS filtering solution provider that helps protect users from various threats. The company offers the following features:
1. Malware Blocking to restricts websites with malicious content and blocks malware attacks that attempt to penetrate networks, such as email-borne viruses, worms, Trojans, and Ransomware.
2. Phishing Prevention to detect phishing scams before they are launched against your company’s users. Phishing prevention protects employees from being targeted by scams that might steal their sensitive data, like passwords or bank account numbers.
3. Web Content Filtering to block inappropriate content on websites hosted by third parties, which might be unsafe for minors or adults who aren’t familiar with what is appropriate for viewing at different ages.
4. Secure BYOD (bring your own device) management for mobile devices used inside/outside networks;
5. 24×7 Security Operations Center to maintain optimal performance levels in real-time through a team of security experts.
DNSFilter is a service that allows you to filter out undesirable websites and content.
- The service is cloud-based, so it’s easy to deploy and manage.
- They have an easy-to-use interface for businesses of all sizes and types.
- The interface allows you to create rules based on keywords or URLs, blocking access from unwanted sites while allowing access from legitimate sites like Facebook or Twitter.
- DNSFilter can be deployed on various devices, including firewalls, routers, and switches.
- The software allows you to manage your filters from any web browser that supports HTML5.
Suggested Reading: The Essential Network Security Checklist
3. Cisco Umbrella
Cisco Umbrella is a cloud-delivered security solution that protects from threats on any device, anywhere. The software uses the best-of-breed threat intelligence from Cisco Talos, which provides real-time intelligence about the latest malware and unwanted software that can impact your business.
With this solution, you can easily keep track of all devices connected to your network. You can use the Centralized Management Console (CMC), including:
- Windows PCs
- Mac OS X computers
- Android devices such as tablets or smartphones running Android 4+ OS versions like Samsung Galaxy S9+
4. WebTitan Cloud
WebTitan Cloud is a DNS filtering solution that helps you enforce your company’s internet usage policies.
- It allows you to block websites, domains, and entire categories of websites, such as adult content or gambling sites.
- WebTitan Cloud is easy to configure and deploy and allows you to customize your settings according to your business needs.
- The WebTitan Cloud service is available in three different plans, each offering a different set of features: Basic, Standard, and Premium.
- The Basic plan includes all the essential features you need to get started with DNS filtering, such as website blocking and category blocking.
- The Standard plan includes all the features in the Basic plan but adds a few more options for you to customize your DNS filtering experience. You can now block specific URLs and IP addresses and set different schedules for when your employees can access websites.
- The Premium plan includes all the basic and standard features, plus advanced reporting capabilities that allow you to monitor internet usage across your entire network.
5. Webroot DNS Protection
Webroot DNS Protection is a cloud-based service that offers protection against malicious websites and malware.
- Webroot solution can be used with any web filter, including Deep Security, Norton Security, and Kaspersky Total Security.
- Webroot’s filtering technology is highly scalable, meaning it can scale up to handle large amounts of traffic while protecting your business from attacks in real-time.
- This product has been tested by thousands of consumers, who have found it to be extremely effective at protecting their devices from malware infections and other threats.
While this is a great product, there are better options if you have a smaller IT budget or need to protect several devices simultaneously. This security suite is only available for Windows and Mac computers and mobile devices.
Suggested Reading: MSP vs MSSP: What’s the difference between them? (Infographic)
6. Cloudflare Gateway
Cloudflare Gateway is a firewall and DNS proxy that can be used to protect your website from malicious traffic.
- Cloudflare Gateway allows you to filter traffic based on IP address, domain name, or URL. This means that if someone tries to visit your site but is not authorized for it (for example, if they have an invalid IP), Cloudflare will block them until they provide valid information about themselves.
- Cloudflare also offers free SSL certificates with Cloudflare Gateway, which can encrypt web traffic between your website and the hosted server.
- You can use this tool if you already have a web hosting provider that supports SSL or if you want to switch providers and retain the same SSL certificate.
What Should You Look for in a DNS Filtering Solution?
DNS filtering is an integral part of any cybersecurity strategy. It is essential for businesses with a low tolerance for risk and IT teams who want to protect client devices. It balances the need to maintain employee productivity and an organization’s desire to stay secure. It is essential to take your network’s current infrastructure into account while choosing a DNS filtering solution.
For example, some solutions may offer real-time blocking of malicious domains, while others may provide more comprehensive reports and analytics. It is also important to consider the ease of deployment and management when choosing a DNS filtering solution. Some solutions may require on-premises hardware, while others may be cloud-based and require no additional hardware.
Finally, pricing is always an important consideration when choosing any type of solution. Some DNS filtering solutions may be offered as part of a larger security suite, while others may be offered as a standalone product. Be sure to compare pricing and features to find the best solution for your organization.
Ace Managed Security Services, with 14+ years of experience in cloud security, is the one-stop solution for a comprehensive, fully managed security infrastructure. With a 24/7/365 Security Operations Center and managed DNS Filtering solution, Ace enables your security posture and implements multiple cutting-edge security solutions.